I am so excited to share this wonderful salad that is super easy to prepare and will impress your family and is fantastic when you need a quick last minute salad to take to your BBQ or dinner party. I call this salad what it is fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil salad but I have heard others call it Caprese Salad.
What is great about this salad is that you can use tomatoes that are in season for example roma tomatoes are pretty much always a good go to but when the really wonderful grape tomatoes are fresh that is my go to!
This is so easy as you slice up some grape tomatoes, then slice up some fresh mozzarella cheese and finally those with large basil leaves. Drizzle with high quality extra virgin olive oil and finally sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
4-5 cups grape, cherry or roma tomatoes, sliced in halves or bite size portions
1 lb fresh mozzarella, cut into ¼ – ½ cubes
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, Italian is my choice
1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar for a more mild flavor)
10-15 large fresh basil leaves (to taste)
Sea salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Toss together the tomatoes, mozzarella, olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Tear the basil in large pieces and toss into salad
- Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Serve immediately or refrigerate as the ingredients will blend together for more flavor
- Serve with fresh Italian bread